To be up to date with the latest in the sheep farming industry to may visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand if you’re beginning sheep rearing and desire to begin professional sheep rearing today download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of people never dream of rearing sheep as pets, they only think of farming sheep as a form of milk and meat production. When you are one of those farmers who wish to rear sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will provide you with guidelines about how to be a happy lamb owner.
When talking about good natured livestock there is absolutely no other livestock like sheep. That they are loved by the elderly and children. They can be entertaining to raise and can teach your kids how to be responsible humans.
Below are some tips in how to rear these animals:
– The 1st thing to consider when starting to farm sheep is your funds. You must invest a whole lot of money in purchasing fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your livestock.
– You ought to have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land should also be enough to accommodate all of your livestock. If you depend on pasture then having enough land is a must, but once you don’t have enough land you can feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suitable for sheep.
– Deciding what type of breed you want to raise is your following step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as domestic pets but some other breed can do as long as you look after them.
– You should be sure you get more then one sheep because sheep are sociable livestock and like sticking together with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t desire your sheep to reproduce you can get the male ones neutered.
– Your lamps must be kept secure. This can be done by building a livestock house and fencing it good. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators like dogs and foxes that can kill your livestock.
– Make sure your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds plus clover. You can also bring a vet every once in a while to test your livestock and make it a point they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a content livestock owner requires one to look after your sheep. Give them good protection, supply them with food and clean water on everyday.