To be updated with the latest in the sheep farming industry to may visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand if you’re new to sheep rearing and desire to begin professional sheep rearing today download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of people never dream of rearing sheep as pets, they only dream of raising sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But once you are one of those folks who would like to raise sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will give you guidelines how to be a happy sheep farmer.
When referring to good natured animals there is absolutely no other livestock like sheep. That they are loved by the elderly and children. They will can be entertaining to raise and can teach young children how to be responsible people.
Here are some tips in how to rear these animals:
– The first thing to know when beginning to raise sheep is your budget. You need to invest a great deal of cash in purchasing fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your lamb.
– You ought to have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land must also be enough to accommodate all of your livestock. If you depend on pasture then having enough grazing land is a must, but once you don’t have enough land you may feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suitable for sheep.
– Choosing what type of breed you want to raise is the next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but some other breed can do if you manage them.
– You must make sure you get more then 1 lamb reason being sheep are social livestock and like coping with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not want your sheep to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– Your sheep must be kept safe. This can be done by building a livestock house and fencing it as well. Fencing will keep out harmful predators such as dogs and fox that can kill your sheep.
– Make sure your livestock are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds and clover. You may also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to check on your livestock and make sure they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
As being a happy livestock farmer needs one to look after your lamb. Give them good protection, give them food and clean water on everyday.