To be up to date with the latest in the sheep rearing industry to can check out our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you are new to sheep farming and desire to start professional sheep rearing today download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of people never dream of raising sheep as domestic pets, they only think of raising sheep as a form of milk plus meat production. When you are one of those livestock farmers who wish to rear sheep as an animal then you are at the right place because this article will provide you with guidelines on how to be a happy lamb owner.
When referring to good natured animals there is absolutely no other animal like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and kids. That they can be entertaining to raise and can teach young children how to be responsible.
Listed here are some guidelines in how to rear these animals:
– The first thing to consider when starting to farm sheep is your budget. You need to invest a great deal of money in buying fencing, constructing a sheep house, vaccinating your sheep and feeding your livestock.
– You should have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land should also be enough to support all of your livestock. If you depend on pasture then having a lot of land is a must, but if you do not have enough land you may feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Deciding what kind of breed you want to raise is your following step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as farm pets but any other breed can do so long as you manage them.
– You should be sure to get more then one sheep because sheep are sociable livestock and like sticking together with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t want your sheep to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– Your sheep should be kept secure. You can do this by constructing a sheep house and fencing it as well. Fencing will keep out harmful predators like dogs and foxes that can eat your livestock.
– Make it a point that your livestock are well feed as well. Lamb like eating grass, weeds plus clover. You can also bring a veterinarian every once in a while to check on your sheep and make sure they are getting the right amount of nutrients.
Becoming a happy livestock farmer needs one to manage your sheep. Give them good refuge, provide them with food and clean water on daily basis.