To stay updated with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to may visit our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you’re starting sheep farming and desire to begin professional sheep rearing today download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of men and women never dream of raising sheep as household pets, they only dream of farming sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But if you are one of those livestock farmers who would like to raise lamb as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will provide you with guidelines about how to be a happy sheep farmer.
When talking about good natured animals there is no other livestock like sheep. They will are loved by the elderly and kids. That they can be entertaining to raise and can teach your kids how to be responsible.
Here are some tips in how to raise these animals:
– The 1st thing to consider when beginning to farm sheep is your finances. You need to invest a great deal of money in buying fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your lamb.
– You ought to have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land must also be enough to accommodate all of your sheep. If you be based upon pasture then having enough land is a must, but if you do not have enough land you can feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is well suited for sheep.
– Deciding what kind of breed you want to raise is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but any other breed can do as long as you take care of them.
– You must make sure you get more then 1 lamb reason being sheep are social livestock and like living with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t desire your sheep to breed you can get your males neutered.
– The livestock must be kept safe. This can be done by building a sheep house and fencing it as well. The fencing will keep out unwanted predators such as dogs and fox that can harm your sheep.
– Make sure your livestock are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds and clover. You can also bring a vet every once in a while to evaluate your lamb and make it a point they may be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a happy sheep owner requires you to care for your sheep. Give them good shelter, supply them with food and clean water on daily basis.