To stay updated with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to can visit our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you’re new to sheep farming and would like to start professional sheep rearing now get a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of men and women never dream of rearing sheep as household pets, they only dream of farming sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But once you are one of those farmers who would like to raise lamb as a pet then you are at the right place because this article provides you with guidelines how to be a happy lamb farmer.
When talking about good natured animals there is not any other livestock like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and children. That they can be entertaining to improve and can teach your kids how to be responsible.
Here are some guidelines in how to rear these animals:
– The first thing to consider when beginning to raise sheep is your finances. You need to invest a lot of money in purchasing fencing, building a lamb house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your livestock.
– You should have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land must also be enough to support all of your sheep. If you depend on pasture then having a lot of grazing land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you can feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is ideal for sheep.
– Choosing what kind of breed you want to farm is the next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as farm pets but any other breed can do if you manage them.
– You must be sure you get more then one sheep because sheep are sociable animals and like sticking together with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t desire your lambs to reproduce you can get the male ones neutered.
– Your lamps should be kept secure. You can do this by building a sheep house and fencing it as well. Fencing will keep out harmful predators like dogs and fox that can eat your sheep.
– Make it a point that your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like consuming green grass, weeds and clover. You may also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to test your sheep and make it a point they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Becoming a content livestock farmer requires you to manage your sheep. Give them good shelter, supply them with food and clean water on everyday.