To stay up to date with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to may check out our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you are beginning sheep farming and desire to begin professional sheep farming today download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of folks never dream of raising sheep as pets, they only think of raising sheep as a form of milk plus meat production. When you are one of those people who wish to raise lamb as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will give you information about how to be a happy lamb farmer.
When speaking about good natured livestock there is absolutely no other livestock like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and kids. They can be entertaining to improve and can teach young children how to be responsible people.
Below are some guidelines in how to farm these animals:
– The first thing to consider when starting to raise sheep is your budget. You need to invest a lot of cash in buying fencing, constructing a lamb house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your lamb.
– You need to have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land must also be enough to support all of your livestock. If you be based upon pasture then having a lot of grazing land is a must, but once you don’t have enough land you can feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suitable for sheep.
– Deciding what kind of breed you want to farm is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as pets but any other breed can do so long as you take care of them.
– You must ensure you get more then one sheep reason being sheep are social livestock and like living with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not desire your lambs to reproduce you can get the male ones neutered.
– Your sheep should be kept safe. You can do this by constructing a livestock house and fencing it good. Fencing will keep out harmful predators like dogs and foxes that can harm your sheep.
– Make it a point that your livestock are well feed as well. Lamb like eating grass, weeds and clover. You may also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to check on your sheep and make it a point they may be getting the right amount of nutrients.
As being a happy sheep owner needs you to take care of your sheep. Give them good refuge, provide them with food and clean water on daily basis.