To be up to date with the latest in the sheep rearing industry to can visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand if you’re starting sheep farming and would like to begin professional sheep farming now download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of individuals never dream of raising sheep as pets, they only think of raising sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But once you are one of those livestock farmers who want to rear sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will give you information about how to be a happy lamb farmer.
When talking about good natured livestock there is not any other livestock like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and children. That they can be entertaining to raise and can teach your kids how to be responsible humans.
Here are some guidelines in how to rear these animals:
– The 1st thing to know when starting to rear sheep is your funds. You need to invest a whole lot of money in buying fencing, building a lamb house, vaccinating your sheep and feeding your livestock.
– You need to have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land must also be enough to support all of your sheep. If you depend on pasture then having a lot of grazing land is a must, but once you don’t have enough land you may feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Choosing what kind of breed you want to raise is the next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as domestic pets but any other breed can do as long as you care for them.
– You should be sure you get more then 1 lamb because sheep are sociable animals and like sticking together with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not desire your lambs to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– Your lamps must be kept secure. You can do this by building a sheep house and fencing it good. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators like dogs and fox that can harm your livestock.
– Make it a point that your sheep are well feed as well. Lamb like consuming grass, weeds and clover. You can also bring a veterinarian every once in a while to check on your sheep and make it a point they are getting the right amount of nutrients.
Becoming a happy sheep owner needs you to take care of your lamb. Give them good protection, supply them with food and clean water on daily basis.