To stay up to date with the latest in the sheep rearing industry to can visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand if you are new to sheep rearing and would like to start professional sheep rearing now download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of people never think of rearing sheep as domestic pets, they only dream of farming sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But if you are one of those farmers who would like to raise sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article provides you with information about how to be a happy lamb owner.
When referring to good natured livestock there is not any other livestock like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and children. That they can be entertaining to raise and can teach your kids how to be responsible.
Here are some guidelines in how to rear these animals:
– The 1st thing to know when beginning to raise sheep is your budget. You need to invest a whole lot of money in purchasing fencing, constructing a lamb house, vaccinating your sheep and feeding your sheep.
– You should have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land should also be enough to support all of your livestock. If you depend on pasture then having enough land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you can feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suitable for sheep.
– Deciding what type of breed you want to raise is your following step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but some other breed can do if you take care of them.
– You must make sure you get more then 1 lamb because sheep are sociable livestock and like sticking together with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t want your lambs to breed you can get your males neutered.
– Your livestock should be kept secure. You can do this by building a sheep house and fencing it as well. The fencing will keep out harmful predators like dogs and fox that can kill your lamps.
– Make sure your lamps are well feed as well. Lamb like consuming grass, weeds plus clover. You can also bring a veterinarian every once in a while to check on your sheep and make it a point they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a content sheep owner needs one to manage your lamb. Give them good protection, provide them with food and clean water on everyday.