To be updated with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to may check out our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand in case you’re starting sheep rearing and would like to start professional sheep farming today download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of people never dream of rearing sheep as domestic pets, they only dream of raising sheep as a form of milk plus meat production. But if you are one of those livestock farmers who want to rear lamb as a pet then you are at the right place because this article provides you with guidelines on how to be a happy sheep owner.
When talking about good natured animals there is not any other livestock like sheep. They will are loved by the elderly and children. They can be entertaining to boost and can teach your kids how to be responsible.
Below are some tips in how to rear these animals:
– The 1st thing to know when starting to raise sheep is your finances. You need to invest a lot of cash in buying fencing, building a lamb house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your livestock.
– You should have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land must also be enough to support all of your sheep. If you be based upon pasture then having a lot of land is a must, but once you don’t have enough land you can feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is suitable for sheep.
– Deciding what kind of breed you want to raise is the next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but any other breed can do so long as you take care of them.
– You must ensure you get more then 1 lamb reason being sheep are social animals and like coping with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not want your lambs to reproduce you can get the male ones neutered.
– Your sheep should be kept safe. You can do this by building a sheep house and fencing it as well. The fencing will keep out harmful predators such as dogs and fox that can harm your livestock.
– Make it a point that your livestock are well feed as well. Lamb like consuming green grass, weeds plus clover. You can also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to test your livestock and make it a point they are getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a content sheep farmer needs one to care for your lamb. Give them good protection, supply them with food and clean water on daily basis.