To be up to date with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to may visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand in case you are starting sheep farming and desire to start professional sheep rearing now download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of individuals never think of raising sheep as domestic pets, they only dream of raising sheep as a form of milk plus meat production. But once you are one of those farmers who would like to rear lamb as an animal then you are at the right place because this article provides you with information about how to be a happy sheep farmer.
When talking about good natured animals there is absolutely no other livestock like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and kids. That they can be entertaining to raise and can teach your kids how to be responsible.
Below are some tips in how to farm these animals:
– The 1st thing to know when beginning to raise sheep is your finances. You have to invest a great deal of money in purchasing fencing, building a lamb house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your lamb.
– You should have enough space for your lamps to graze on. The land must also be enough to accommodate all of your livestock. If you depend on pasture then having enough grazing land is a must, but once you don’t have enough land you may feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Determining what type of breed you want to farm is your following step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but any other breed can do if you care for them.
– You must ensure you get more then one sheep reason being sheep are sociable animals and like sticking together with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not desire your lambs to breed you can get the male ones neutered.
– Your sheep should be kept secure. This can be done by building a sheep house and fencing it as well. The fencing will keep out harmful predators like dogs and fox that can eat your sheep.
– Make it a point that your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like consuming green grass, weeds plus clover. You may also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to check on your sheep and make sure they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a happy sheep farmer needs you to take care of your sheep. Give them good shelter, provide them with food and clean water on daily basis.