To be updated with the latest information in the sheep rearing industry to may visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand in case you’re new to sheep farming and would like to start professional sheep rearing today get a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of folks never dream of rearing sheep as domestic pets, they only dream of farming sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But if you are one of those individuals who want to raise sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will provide you with information how to be a happy lamb owner.
When speaking about good natured livestock there is not any other animal like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and kids. That they can be entertaining to improve and can teach your kids how to be responsible humans.
Here are some guidelines in how to farm these animals:
– The first thing to consider when starting to farm sheep is your finances. You need to invest a lot of money in buying fencing, constructing a lamb house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your sheep.
– You should have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land should also be enough to support all of your livestock. If you depend on pasture then having a lot of grazing land is a must, but if you do not have enough land you may feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Choosing what kind of breed you want to farm is the next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as domestic pets but any other breed can do if you manage them.
– You must ensure you get more then 1 sheep because sheep are sociable animals and like coping with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not desire your lambs to breed you can get the male ones neutered.
– The livestock should be kept safe. This can be done by constructing a sheep house and fencing it good. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators like dogs and fox that can eat your lamps.
– Make it a point that your lamps are well feed as well. Sheep like consuming grass, weeds plus clover. You can also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to evaluate your livestock and make it a point they are getting the right amount of nutrients.
As being a content livestock farmer requires you to look after your sheep. Give them good shelter, supply them with food and clean water on daily basis.