To be up to date with the latest in the sheep farming industry to can visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand in case you’re starting sheep rearing and would like to begin professional sheep farming now get a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of individuals never think of rearing sheep as household pets, they only dream of raising sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But if you are one of those livestock farmers who want to raise sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article provides you with information how to be a happy lamb owner.
When speaking about good natured livestock there is absolutely no other animal like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and children. They can be entertaining to boost and can teach your kids how to be responsible people.
Here are some tips in how to farm these animals:
– The first thing to consider when beginning to rear sheep is your finances. You must invest a lot of money in buying fencing, constructing a sheep house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your sheep.
– You should have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land must also be enough to accommodate all of your livestock. If you rely upon pasture then having a lot of land is a must, but if you do not have enough land you may feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Deciding what type of breed you want to farm is your following step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as pets but some other breed can do as long as you manage them.
– You should ensure you get more then one sheep because sheep are sociable livestock and like sticking together with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t want your sheep to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– Your livestock should be kept safe. This can be done by building a livestock house and fencing it good. Fencing will keep out harmful predators such as dogs and fox that can eat your livestock.
– Make it a point that your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds and clover. You may also bring a vet every once in a while to check on your sheep and make sure they are getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a happy sheep farmer needs you to care for your lamb. Give them good protection, give them food and clean water on everyday.