To be updated with the latest in the sheep farming industry to may visit our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you are new to sheep farming and desire to begin professional sheep farming today download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of folks never dream of rearing sheep as pets, they only think of farming sheep as a form of milk plus meat production. But if you are one of those people who wish to raise lamb as an animal then you are at the right place reason being this article will provide you with information about how to be a happy lamb farmer.
When talking about good natured animals there is no other livestock like sheep. That they are loved by the elderly and children. That they can be entertaining to raise and can teach your kids how to be responsible humans.
Here are some tips in how to raise these animals:
– The first thing to consider when starting to farm sheep is your budget. You have to invest a lot of money in purchasing fencing, constructing a sheep house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your sheep.
– You should have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land should also be enough to accommodate all of your sheep. If you be based upon pasture then having a lot of grazing land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you may feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Choosing what kind of breed you want to farm is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as pets but any other breed can do if you look after them.
– You should be sure to get more then one lamb reason being sheep are sociable animals and like living with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t want your sheep to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– Your lamps should be kept secure. This can be done by constructing a sheep house and fencing it as well. The fencing will keep out unwanted predators like dogs and foxes that can kill your lamps.
– Make sure your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds and clover. You can also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to evaluate your livestock and make it a point they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
As being a content sheep owner needs one to manage your lamb. Give them good protection, give them food and clean water on everyday.