To stay up to date with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to can visit our sheep farming latest news. On the other hand if you are beginning sheep farming and would like to start professional sheep rearing now get a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of folks never dream of rearing sheep as pets, they only think of raising sheep as a form of milk and meat production. When you are one of those folks who would like to rear lamb as a pet then you are at the right place reason being this article provides you with guidelines on how to be a happy sheep owner.
When referring to good natured animals there is absolutely no other livestock like sheep. That they are loved by the elderly and kids. That they can be entertaining to raise and can teach your kids how to be responsible humans.
Below are some guidelines in how to raise these animals:
– The first thing to consider when beginning to farm sheep is your funds. You have to invest a lot of cash in buying fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your livestock.
– You should have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land must also be enough to accommodate all of your livestock. If you be based upon pasture then having a lot of land is a must, but if you do not have enough land you may feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is suitable for sheep.
– Determining what type of breed you want to farm is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as domestic pets but any other breed can do if you take care of them.
– You must be sure to get more then one lamb reason being sheep are sociable livestock and like sticking together with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not want your lambs to breed you can get your males neutered.
– Your livestock should be kept safe. This can be done by building a livestock house and fencing it as well. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators such as dogs and foxes that can eat your livestock.
– Make sure your livestock are well feed as well. Lamb like consuming green grass, weeds and clover. You can also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to check on your lamb and make sure they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a content sheep owner requires one to manage your lamb. Give them good protection, provide them with food and clean water on everyday.