To be up to date with the latest in the sheep rearing industry to can check out our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you’re new to sheep farming and would like to start professional sheep farming now get a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A lot of folks never think of raising sheep as domestic pets, they only think of farming sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But once you are one of those farmers who wish to raise lamb as a pet then you are at the right place reason being this article will give you information about how to be a happy lamb owner.
When referring to good natured livestock there is absolutely no other animal like sheep. That they are loved by the elderly and kids. That they can be entertaining to improve and can teach your kids how to be responsible.
Below are some tips in how to raise these animals:
– The first thing to consider when starting to rear sheep is your budget. You must invest a great deal of money in purchasing fencing, constructing a lamb house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your lamb.
– You ought to have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land should also be enough to accommodate all of your sheep. If you depend on pasture then having enough grazing land is a must, but once you don’t have enough land you can feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Deciding what type of breed you want to farm is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as domestic pets but some other breed can do if you take care of them.
– You should ensure you get more then one sheep because sheep are social livestock and like living with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t desire your lambs to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– The sheep must be kept safe. You can do this by building a livestock house and fencing it good. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators such as dogs and foxes that can kill your livestock.
– Make sure your livestock are well feed as well. Sheep like eating grass, weeds and clover. You may also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to test your livestock and make it a point they may be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Becoming a content livestock owner needs one to manage your lamb. Give them good protection, supply them with food and clean water on daily basis.