To stay up to date with the latest information in the sheep rearing industry to may check out our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you are new to sheep farming and desire to start professional sheep rearing now get a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of folks never think of rearing sheep as pets, they only think of raising sheep as a form of milk and meat production. When you are one of those livestock farmers who wish to raise lamb as a pet then you are at the right place because this article provides you with guidelines on how to be a happy sheep farmer.
When talking about good natured animals there is not any other livestock like sheep. That they are loved by the elderly and children. They will can be entertaining to boost and can teach young children how to be responsible.
Here are some tips in how to rear these animals:
– The first thing to know when starting to farm sheep is your funds. You have to invest a lot of money in buying fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your lamb and feeding your livestock.
– You need to have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land must also be enough to support all of your livestock. If you depend on pasture then having a lot of land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you may feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Deciding what kind of breed you want to raise is your following step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy sheep are recommended as pets but some other breed can do if you look after them.
– You must be sure to get more then one sheep reason being sheep are sociable animals and like living with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not desire your sheep to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– The sheep should be kept safe. This can be done by building a sheep house and fencing it as well. The fencing will keep out harmful predators such as dogs and foxes that can eat your lamps.
– Make sure your lamps are well feed as well. Sheep like consuming green grass, weeds and clover. You may also bring an animal medical practitioner every once in a while to check on your lamb and make it a point they may be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Becoming a happy sheep farmer requires one to manage your sheep. Give them good refuge, provide them with food and clean water on everyday.