To stay updated with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to can visit our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you’re new to sheep farming and would like to start professional sheep farming today get a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of people never think of raising sheep as domestic pets, they only think of farming sheep as a form of milk and meat production. When you are one of those people who would like to raise sheep as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will provide you with information on how to be a happy lamb farmer.
When referring to good natured livestock there is absolutely no other livestock like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and children. They can be entertaining to boost and can teach young children how to be responsible people.
Here are some guidelines in how to farm these animals:
– The first thing to know when beginning to farm sheep is your finances. You have to invest a lot of cash in buying fencing, building a lamb house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your sheep.
– You should have enough space for your sheep to graze on. The land must also be enough to accommodate all of your sheep. If you depend on pasture then having a lot of land is a must, but if you do not have enough land you can feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is ideal for sheep.
– Choosing what kind of breed you want to raise is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but any other breed can do as long as you take care of them.
– You should be sure you get more then 1 lamb reason being sheep are social animals and like sticking together with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t desire your sheep to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– Your livestock must be kept safe. This can be done by constructing a livestock house and fencing it good. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators like dogs and foxes that can eat your sheep.
– Make it a point that your sheep are well feed as well. Lamb like consuming green grass, weeds and clover. You may also bring a vet every once in a while to check on your livestock and make sure they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
As being a content sheep owner needs one to take care of your lamb. Give them good refuge, provide them with food and clean water on everyday.