To stay up to date with the latest information in the sheep farming industry to may check out our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand in case you are new to sheep rearing and desire to start professional sheep rearing now download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of individuals never think of raising sheep as domestic pets, they only dream of raising sheep as a form of milk and meat production. But once you are one of those livestock farmers who want to raise lamb as a pet then you are at the right place because this article will provide you with information about how to be a happy lamb farmer.
When referring to good natured animals there is absolutely no other livestock like sheep. They are loved by the elderly and kids. They will can be entertaining to improve and can teach your kids how to be responsible people.
Below are some guidelines in how to farm these animals:
– The 1st thing to know when beginning to farm sheep is your budget. You have to invest a whole lot of cash in buying fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your livestock and feeding your livestock.
– You should have enough space for your lamps to graze on. The land should also be enough to accommodate all of your sheep. If you rely upon pasture then having enough land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you may feed your sheep hay or any other feeds that is suited to sheep.
– Deciding what kind of breed you want to raise is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but some other breed can do if you take care of them.
– You must make sure you get more then 1 lamb reason being sheep are sociable livestock and like living with other sheep. Your sheep can be mixed (males and females), but if you don’t want your sheep to reproduce you can get your males neutered.
– The sheep must be kept secure. You can do this by building a livestock house and fencing it as well. Fencing will keep out unwanted predators such as dogs and fox that can harm your livestock.
– Make it a point that your sheep are well feed as well. Sheep like consuming grass, weeds plus clover. You may also bring a vet every once in a while to check on your sheep and make it a point they may be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Being a happy livestock farmer requires you to care for your sheep. Give them good refuge, give them food and clean water on daily basis.