To be up to date with the latest information in the sheep rearing industry to can check out our sheep rearing latest news. On the other hand if you’re new to sheep farming and would like to begin professional sheep rearing now download a copy of our how to raise sheep ebook.
A whole lot of individuals never think of raising sheep as pets, they only think of raising sheep as a form of milk plus meat production. But once you are one of those farmers who wish to raise sheep as an animal then you are at the right place because this article provides you with guidelines how to be a happy sheep farmer.
When referring to good natured animals there is no other livestock like sheep. That they are loved by the elderly and children. That they can be entertaining to improve and can teach young children how to be responsible people.
Below are some guidelines in how to rear these animals:
– The first thing to know when beginning to farm sheep is your budget. You have to invest a whole lot of money in buying fencing, building a sheep house, vaccinating your sheep and feeding your sheep.
– You should have enough space for your livestock to graze on. The land should also be enough to support all of your sheep. If you rely upon pasture then having enough grazing land is a must, but if you don’t have enough land you may feed your livestock hay or any other feeds that is well suited for sheep.
– Deciding what type of breed you want to farm is your next step. Nigerian Dwarf or Pygmy lamb are recommended as pets but some other breed can do if you take care of them.
– You should be sure you get more then one sheep reason being sheep are social livestock and like living with other sheep. Your lamb can be mixed (males and females), but if you do not want your lambs to breed you can get the male ones neutered.
– The lamps must be kept safe. This can be done by constructing a livestock house and fencing it good. The fencing will keep out unwanted predators like dogs and foxes that can harm your sheep.
– Make it a point that your livestock are well feed as well. Lamb like eating green grass, weeds plus clover. You may also bring a vet every once in a while to check on your livestock and make sure they can be getting the right amount of nutrients.
Becoming a happy sheep farmer requires you to manage your sheep. Give them good shelter, provide them with food and clean water on daily basis.